Coffee – I had never heard about Coffee Flour until I read “What Is Coffee Flour? Here’s the Deal With the New “Superfood”” today. Just as the name implies, Coffee Flour is a flour made by either grinding up green coffee beans roasted at a lower temperature than what we drink or from a by-product of the normal coffee production process. You include it mixed with conventional flour in any recipe flour would be used in. The recommendation is to mix about 15-25% Coffee Flour with conventional flour. It will make baked goods a little darker in color and add a bit of flavor of flavor of dried figs per some who have tried it.
So why do you want to use Coffee Flour”? It does retain the caffeine that many of us enjoy a jolt of in the morning. It does not carry the bitter caramel aroma and coffee flavor that we expect with our morning cup. There are significant health benefits of using Coffee Flour (per vendor Coffee Flour):
- More fiber per gram than whole grain wheat flour
- More iron per gram than fresh spinach
- Less fat and more fiber per gram than coconut flour
- More antioxidants per gram than a pomegranate
- More protein per gram than fresh kale
- More potassium per gram than a banana
Coffee Flour can be found at:
- the ever popular Trader Joes
- It can also be ordered on-line at Nuts.com ($8.99 per pound)
- It can be ordered on-line from MarxFoods ($18 per pound)
This is something I will have to try .