(See my other macOS related posts) – The name of the latest version of the Mac operating system is Big Sur. The announcement of Big Sur came at WWDC on June 22, 2020. It became available for users to download and install beginning on November 12, 2020.
Big Sur marks a significant change in the macOS. Macs have been running version 10 since March of 2001. This version of the OS moves to version 11.
So what will you find different in Big Sur? There are many incremental changes. The highlights of the improvements in Big Sur are listed below. The reading list provides links to where you can find more detailed information.
- A new design – new icons more like those found on iPhone and iPad
- Control Center – what you are familiar with on the iPhone and iPad
- Improved Finder – more like what you see on iPad Files App
- Enhanced Notifications and Widgets – more like iPhone and iPad
- Photos – improved editing
- Messages – more like what is found on iPhone and iPad
- Improved Safari – better performance, Privacy Report, language translation
- Maps – more like iPhone and iPad
- Support of iPhone Apps (only for Macs with the M1 chip)
- Better switching of AirPods between Apple devices
Read / See more about Big Sur