(See my other Coffee and Food related posts) – The University of California, Davis Coffee Center has been investigating the best ways to brew coffee. In March of 2019 the article “Flat vs. Cone: Basket Shape is as Important as Grind Size in Drip Brew Coffee” was published in 25 Magazine.
A very well designed [see the article for details] experiment was designed to evaluate flat versus cone shaped filters. The quick take from the article:
- filter shape does affect the taste of coffee
- grind size does not affect the taste of coffee
- there is a taste difference between light and dark roasts
With light roast:
- flat bottom filters “yielded flavor attributes with more dried fruit, sweet, and floral flavor intensities“
- cone filters “yielded more citrus, berry, and sour“
With dark roast:
- flat bottom filters “yield more pronounced chocolate, cocoa, and woody flavors“
- cone filters “yield much more intense bitterness“
Which filter type is best? That is really up to the consumer because we each have our own taste preferences.