I have been publishing a list of free software for iOS, tvOS and OS X each month. You may find some of these programs of interest. I have also attempted to mark which Apple OS the title is targeted at (iOS, macOS, tvOS) as well as the category of the App.
This is NOT a curated list. All I know about these titles is what you see below. None have been tried or tested by me.
- iOS/Health & Fitness – I love yoga! I don’t like it when I have to miss a class, and many of you out there know how hard it is to fit in all you want to do while getting to what needs to be done. Now, you can turn just about any location into a yoga studio so you can fit in short sessions or full experiences whenever you want, whenever you want. YogaDownload is the app that makes it possible. Download for free from the App Store.
- iOS/Health & Fitness – There are a ton of apps out there that help people manage their health and fitness goals. They range from simple trackers to elaborate planners. Simpler apps count basic metrics like steps taken, flights climbed, calories burned, and hours spent in slumber. At the other end of the spectrum, the fancier apps allow users to enter information about their current state of health and exercise routine so the app has an idea of your start point. Users can then set goals and the app will suggest a plan of attack on how to meet them. Download for free from the App Store
- iOS/Utilities – XPAND K.K., which provides “XPAND.CODES”, the barcode solution for signs, has announced the launch of XPAND.CODES Reader App for iOS mobile device today. XPAND.CODES Reader is a free multi barcode reader that can read QR/XPAND/EAN codes quickly and with precision. It helps users to scan various barcodes whether near or far and to obtain additional information on smartphones. XPAND K.K. is also developing an app for Android devices. XPAND.CODES Reader is free and is available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Utilities category. Download from the App Store
- iOS/Entertainment – Renowned physician and WeTV’s Marriage Bootcamp host, Dr. Ish Major endorsed medical and health app, Key of Life on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook this week. The relationship doctor boosted about the app’s capability of improving relations between loved ones by taking care of health issues first. Key Of Life 1.3 is Free (With App Purchases) and available worldwide through the App Store in the Entertainment category. Download from the App Store
- iOS, tvOS/News – The myTuner radio team is very excited about the release of the brand new version of Podcasts by myTuner. Podcasts by myTuner provides you with the ultimate mobile experience when it comes to listening to Podcasts! You can easily find the best podcasts based on its tailored algorithm, presented in a modern, beautiful and easy to use interface. Podcasts by myTuner version 1.0 is currently available for Free for iOS, on the App Store, in the News category. Version 1.1 for the Apple TV is now also available for Free (it was $2.99 before). Download from the App Store
- iOS/Games – Enter the world of Esperia as mobile game publisher Lilith Games today released AFK Arena on Android and iOS devices. Build a squad of five from an abundance of varied heroes, then level them up and lead them into battle against the forces of evil in this stylish, free-to-play idle-RPG. With a gameplay system designed to auto farm for players, a stacked roster of unlockable heroes and stunning art design, AFK Arena gives players a strategic battle-experience with RPG elements. AFK Arena 1.15.07 is Free (With In-App Purchases) and available worldwide through the App Store in the Games category. AFK Arena 1.15.07
- iOS/Health & Fitness – Somehow, with all the technology and services we have available to us, we find our lives jam packed with too much stuff. Meetings to make, parties to attend, housework to finish – it’s a never-ending cycle. In the midst of all of that, experts say we should take time to be mindful, slow down and bring balance into our day – easier said than done. Now, you can. If you rely on apps to get things done, then consider an app to bring meditation and focus into your day. SOS Method: Meditation is an app that puts the SOS Method into action. While traditional meditation practice takes time, SOS Method makes it fit into our busy lives. If you only have five minutes to spare, SOS Method can help. With uniquely designed exercises, it helps you tap into you mind and let it focus inward, to bring inspiration, calm your emotions and improve overall well-being. When your mind is free from clutter, you function better. Free from the App Store
- iOS/Health & Fitness – Independent development team GREEAL e.U. is proud to announce FITOLOG – Fitness Assistant 4.0, the update to their all-in-one fitness training app for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Apple Watch devices. The app uses a simple process of logging a users’ fitness data and displaying it in easy to understand graphs. FITOLOG – Fitness Assistant 4.0 is free and is available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Health and Fitness category. Auto-renewable subscriptions are available. 1-month is $2.99, 3-months is $7.49, 6-months is $13.99 and 1-year is $24.99. USD (or an equivalent amount in other currencies). Download from the App Store
- iOS, watchOS/Lifestyle – Independent developer, Mark S. Morris is today announcing the release of Heartener 1.0, his free new lifestyle app for Apple Watch. Heartener lets you hear the effects of meditation and exercise on your heart rate, or eliminate distracting thoughts while trying to fall asleep by focusing only on the sound of your heart. Heartener does not require an account to work and has no hidden fees or in app purchases. Heartener only uses your heart rate data on your devices, it does not transmit any information off the devices, and contains no analytics keeping track of your actions within the app. Heartener 1.0.0 is free and available worldwide on the App Store in the Lifestyle category. Download from the App Store
- macOS/Reference – Independent developer, Mark S. Morris is today announcing the release of ProteinScope(R) for Mac. Previously released for Windows in 2002, ProteinScope has been used in online encyclopedias, research paper publications, and was recommended in the U.S. Federal Registry by the Patent and Trademark Office for use in drug patent applications. ProteinScope is Free and available worldwide on the Mac App Store in the Reference category. Download from the Mac App Store
- iOS, watchOS/Health and Fitness – Independent development team GREEAL e.U. is proud to announce FITOLOG – Fitness Assistant 4.0, the update to their all-in-one fitness training app for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Apple Watch devices. The app uses a simple process of logging a users’ fitness data and displaying it in easy to understand graphs. FITOLOG – Fitness Assistant 4.0 is free and is available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Health and Fitness category. Auto-renewable subscriptions are available. 1-month is $2.99, 3-months is $7.49, 6-months is $13.99 and 1-year is $24.99. USD (or an equivalent amount in other currencies). Download from the App Store
- iOS/Games – Lozange Lab just released The Unic 1.0.2, their new observation game dedicated to pattern and design lovers. The game is downloadable for free on iPhone and iPad. The Unic 1.0.2 is free and is available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Games category. In-app purchases are available. Download from the App Store
- iOS/Ulities – Independent development team, Handcade is proud to announce the release and immediate availability of Polydust 1.0, their new 3D modeling app for the iPad, which turns the tablet into a pro modeling device. Users can create basic shapes such as cubes, arcs, cylinders and toruses that can act as the base of custom 3D models. The app also offers users full control of their model mesh, as they can work in vertex, edge, poly and object model. Polydust 1.0 is a free download and is available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Utilities category. Convenient in-app subscriptions are available to unlock all of the app’s features. Polydust subscription payments can be made on a monthly ($9.99 per month for full access), or on an annual basis ($79 per year for full access). A 14-day free trial is available. Download from App Store
- iOS/Education – Good School Tools announced today that School ID Cards and Photos version 4.1.0, will include information on every student ID for the National and Local Suicide Prevention Hotlines, the Crisis Text Line, and Special Emergency numbers. Apps are Free (With In-App Subscription Purchase options) and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Education category. Download from App Store