If you are one of those how have chosen to keep your notes and other information in simple text files, the look command may be something you can use. The look command has a simple purpose – to find all lines in the target file that begin with the specified word. The file to be processed must be sorted.
The macOS man page for look says:
The look utility displays any lines in file which contain string as a prefix. As look performs a binary search, the lines in file must be sorted.
To learn a lot more about how to use look, take a look at “Linux look Command Tutorial for Beginners (with Examples)“. Yes, this is a Linux article, but the look command as implemented on macOS is fundamentally the same.
See my other CLI and macOS articles
Product Announcements – Graphic Node of Sakiai, Lithuania, developers of popular Mac productivity assistant applications, have launched a brand-new product. Infographics Prime is the new universal infographics powerhouse, designed for use with various productivity and image editing applications. Infographics prime offers over 1000 unique infographics templates for use with the following productivity and image editing apps:
- Apple Keynote
- Apple Pages
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Illustrator
- Google Slides
This is the widest range of supported application from any products of the kind on the Mac App Store. Content is currently divided into 6 categories:
- Country Maps
- Text & Tables
“We have noticed a significant increase in requests for infographics themes and templates in some of our other products recently. Our design team spent countless hours developing new items and adapting them for use with a large range of software” – said Arunas Puodziukas, general manager of Graphic Node. “We have developed over 400 original designs and brought them into one convenient application, where they are sorted by software and category. Of course, we will not stop there, and in true Graphic Node fashion, we will keep adding content to the app over time. We are sure it will become an indispensable infographics tool for many!”
Pricing and Availability:
Infographics Prime 1.0.1 is available now on the Mac App Store for $19.99 (USD).
Product Announcements – Tension Software of Milano, Italy has released Geo WPS 1.1.3 for macOS, using an alternative source to Apple Map database. In Geo WPS you can see on Mac the world as mapped by (OpenLayer Maps). Geo WPS allows to track your geographic position on these maps using macOS wi-fi geo-tracking and other available hardware inside and connected to your Mac to detect your coordinate in the best precise way via Apple core location.
Geo WPS shows your position over a zoomable a map. The map is updated live from the internet (almost all the world is mapped to a very high level) with the possibility to zoom up to 18 levels.
It can work with any Mac with wi-fi turned on (to detect correct location) and an available internet connection (using any kind of connection, not necessarily via wi-fi, which is required to be ON just to detect the presence of wi-fi stations around, just the presence, it does NOT connect to them)
In some way, Geo WPS reassemble GPS features without a GPS (it can works only in the area with mapped wi-fi signals, typically urban areas ) even when the sky is not visible (in GPS system visibility of sky is mandatory). It works perfectly in closed environments if it detects mapped wi-fi stations around.
The map can be shown with the zoom level you prefer and maintaining this zoom level during position upgrade. The map can scroll maintaining your position at the window center when you are moving (providing you are net connected, to calculate your position and show the current location map). The map is interactive and the user can drag scroll and drag zoom.
- Uses the standard Apple core location library
- Alternative to the Apple map database to visualize maps (it uses OpenLayer Map)
- Continuously updates your position showing it on a map
- Doesn’t require an established wi-fi connection, just airport turned ON to detects wi-fi around
- It can work using your wireless modem (USB key or Bluetooth modem) to query for your position via the internet
- Zoomable map of the world with your position
- Show any place in an interactive movable graphical map
- Works also in closed environments
- Based on an open map format
- PDF Manual embedded in the app included
New in this release:
- Minor bug fixes
- Optimized for macOS 10.13 High Sierra
- Requires macOS 10.10 Yosemite or Higher
- Optimized for macOS 10.13 High Sierra
- 3.1 MB
Geo WPS 1.1.3 is just $3.99 USD (or an equivalent amount on other currencies) and is available worldwide through the Mac App Store in the Travel category.
I came across the article “The 2018 Top Programming Languages” in the IEEE Spectrum (The IEEE’s monthly publication) website today that talked about which programming languages are the most popular today. The chart above (borrowed from their article) shows that Python is the top language.
Given how much I have seen about Python lately that does not surprise me. I have to admit that I have written a little Python and find it gives you the instant gratification (i.e. no compiling) of Perl, with the power of C/C++.
I was surprised to see C still so high on the list. I always enjoyed programming in C and teaching it to others. What surprised me the most was Assembly appearing as number 10 on the list. I spent a lot of time programming in assembly when I was an engineer at Texas Instruments in the mid-70s. I also taught many students 8086 assembly language while on the faculty of St. Edward’s University. I think for me assembly is the programming language (well, languages – TI 960, TI 990 and 8086) that enjoyed working in the most.
With all of today’s High Level Languages it surprises me that a significant number of programmers still think assembly is so important.
Product Announcements – Tension Software of Milano, Italy has released Product Manager 2.3 for macOS to manage company products on Mac from different standpoints. Product Manager is a macOS application to manage company products from different standpoints. It’s document based and can manage an unlimited number of documents each with an unlimited number of products, subdivided into families.
Product Manager can be used also for a different typology of products (not only software) to manage the activities associated with the improvements, distributions, and marketing of the product. The application is customizable with the labels the user needs to better describe the specific managed products. Product Manager can be the general repository for all the data used for the technical management of your products from various point of views.
Product Manager allows to:
- Organize products in a logical subdivision in families of products and products owned by a family
- Define a custom layout of data values (fields) used by any documents with custom name and data tags (names, values, url and so on)
- Specify for any product custom values associated to the data tags layout
- Create Press Release (for any product release) using templates where the data values associated with any specific product are created automatically merging press release including data tags with assigned custom value for any product
- Manage descriptions for the products, with various kind and keeping track of them for any different release
- Keeping track of the ToDo associated for the product and keeping track of work. Create reports for items done and not done yet.
- Keeping track of the Bugs. Create reports for items done and not done yet.
- Keeping track of the competitor products
For every product, the user can store Main data with generic data fields that can be automatically recalled to generate updated press release, releases notes, press releases, bug list, ToDo list and competitive product list.
The application provides also storage for further data: Media Points for a press release and Text snippets for internal use. Product Manager can provide press release automatic sending controlling mail.app on the user’s Macintosh, all this with just a single click.
- Easy to use interface
- No learning period required
- Products stored in a hierarchical view by families
- A totally customizable layout of values associated to products to be used in Press Release creation and for reference
- Customizable labels adaptable to different products type
- Descriptions of the product for the release of the product over time
- Press release of the product, for the different release, and create dynamically merging text templates with custom data (using text data tags to insert data values)
- ToDo list of activities relate dot the product
- Bug or problems product related to solve
- List of competitors for the product
- Can manage unlimited families and products
- Automatic email preparing and sending to an address list controlling mail.app from inside Product Manager via Scripting Bridge
- Text template ready to be inserted inside text view
New in this release:
- Better layout (improved efficiency for the small screen)
- Improved interface for ToDo and Bug panels
- Bug fixes
- Various optimizations
- macOS Version 10.10 Yosemite or higher
- Optimized for macOS 10.13 High Sierra
- 5.2 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Product Manager 2.3 is $19.99 USD (or an equivalent amount in other currencies) and is available worldwide through the Mac App Store in the Developer Tools category. It is also available through the Tension Software website.
Book Reviews – “Hired to Kill” eBook was published in 2018 and was written by Andrew Peterson (https://www.andrewpeterson.com). Mr. Peterson has published seven novels with this being the seventh in his “Nathan McBride” series.
I received an ARC of this novel through https://www.netgalley.com in return for a fair and honest review. I categorize this novel as ‘R’ because it contains scenes of Violence. The story is set in the contemporary US. The primary character is former US Marine sniper Nathan McBride. McBride has also served with as a CIA operative and is currently a private contractor.
Deadly, but widely separated attacks against family and others close to McBride draw him into investigating the threat of a new terrorist attack against the US. ISIS operatives have obtained bioweapons developed in North Korea and are now plotting to release them in major US cities. It becomes a race to see if McBride and US forces can intercept the terrorists before the deadly weapon can be released.
I thoroughly enjoyed the 8+ hours I spent reading this 377 page thriller. While I have not read any of the prior novels in the series, this one read well as a stand-alone book. I liked the character of McBride and the plot stayed within the realm of believability that so many thrillers exceed. The cover art is OK, but I think better art could have been chosen. I give this novel a 5 out of 5.
My book reviews are also published on Goodreads (https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/31181778-john-purvis).
I have been maintaining a list of free software for iOS, tvOS and OS X. You may find some of these programs of interest. I have also attempted to mark which Apple OS the title is targeted at (iOS, macOS, tvOS) as well as the category of the App.
This is NOT a curated list. All I know about these titles is what you see below. None have been tried or tested by me.
- iOS/Games – Global mobile game publisher ZPLAY is glad to announce that another classic cool game – Space Wall, is now available for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch devices.Space Wall is free and is available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Games category. Download on App Store
- iOS/Games – Ok, well maybe you won’t be really playing with curling stones, but you will be swiping to send virtual players, a.k.a. Curling buddies, that act like stones on a curling track. They are actually characters you get to choose from and you use your swiping agility to get them to where they need to land so you earn coins and move up the levels. Curling Buddies is the game to try if you have always had a fascination with curling, but never really wanted to play the real thing. This app is an easy download and features straightforward gameplay. You get one character to start with for free. Then you set her on a course for success by carefully swiping her towards the rings where she needs to stop. Download for free from the App Store.
- iOS/Games – Fans of trivia apps that are bored of ordinary and predictable offerings can now head to the App Store and experience the challenging, fun and ultra-addictive new app Virtual Take-Out(TM) Trivia 2 Go. There is no cost to download the app. Virtual Take-Out Trivia 2 Go (v1.4) is Free (With In-App Purchases) and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Entertainment category. Download from iTunes
- iOS/Games – Some people can see words pop out of a page that’s riddled with random letters. The rest of us struggle with trying to make sense of them. If they are not already arranged in a way to forms a word, they are just letters. Now, if you like to play word games and have gotten hooked on Ruzzle, you don’t have to be left in the dust if you are part of the latter group who takes more time to create words from scratch. You can take full advantage of Ruzzle Cheat. Download for free from the App Store.
- iOS Games – Global mobile game publisher ZPLAY is glad to announce that a cool block breaker – Snake Bricks-Bounce Balls 1.0.1, is available on iOS and Android devices all over the world today. Snake Bricks-Bounce Balls 1.0.1 is free and is available worldwide through the App Store in the Games category. Download from App Store
- iOS/Social Networking – You can upload a ton of videos to YouTube and enjoy watching an endless stream that seems to have no end. But why just watch videos. You want to experience content that has purpose. Content that was meant to be the best. For that, you need to download and consume Batelz. Wasn’t sure at first on how to pronounce the word, but I’m pretty sure is sounds like “battles”. Which is totally appropriate. Batelz is a new social media platform where users upload their favorite videos and photos and pit them against others in the same category. You are not just uploading anything, you are uploading something that needs to stand out and grab the attention of fellow users, so you rank high and “win” batelz. Download for free from the App Store.
- iOS/Games – Saving the rainforest while having fun: developer and publisher Xyrality donates 50% of all revenues from its title “Incoming! Goblins Attack” to protect the rainforest. Incoming! is a classic tower defense game that comes with a huge amount of levels and massive content. A total of 160 levels can be mastered in four different landscapes, each populated by countless different creeps. Incoming! Goblins Attack TD 2.0.0 is Free (With In-App Purchases) and available worldwide through the App Store in the Games category. Download from iTunes
- iOS/Games – Sugar Games is proud to announce the release of Funmania 1.4.5, an update to their exciting game for iPhone iPad, and iPod touch devices. Sophie, a protagonist of the game, always had talents in throwing great parties and entertaining her friends. Then, she focused on her career and had to forget good old times for a while until recently some unexpected twist allowed Sophie to release her talents in a whole different way. Funmania 1.4.5 is free and is available worldwide through the App Store in the Games category. Convenient in-app purchases are available. Download from App Store
- iOS/Education – Mezmedia is proud to announce the long-awaited sequel to their most popular app – Bamba Burger 2. With over 4 million downloads for Bamba Burger, the success of this burger restaurant game for kids has led to calls for a sequel. The Singapore-based game studio has obliged with the release of Bamba Burger 2 on the App Store. Bamba Burger 2 is Free (With In-App Purchases) and available worldwide through the App Store in the Education category. Download from iTunes
- iOS/Games – While the name of the app may make you laugh when you first read it, this app is far from being anything detrimental to your mind. Crystal Math – Numbers on Speed is exactly that – a way to learn your numbers and quick arithmetic in an environment where speed is key. You don’t have to be perfect when you start. The game has four different categories from which to select games. I highly recommend starting off with the Free Game, where you play on your own, against a 30 minute timer. This mode of play provides the perfect amount of practice before you take on further challenges. Download for free from the App Store
- iOS/Games – Mokool Sports Games is pleased to announce the release and immediate availability of World Hockey Championships 1.02, the company’s first multiplayer game for iOS, Android and Amazon devices. World Hockey Championships is the only hockey game that offers a new set of daily game missions each day, player missions, and over 60 achievements. Gamers are rewarded for coming back each day to play. World Hockey Championships 1.02 is Free (With In-App Purchases) and available worldwide through the App Store in the Games category. Download from iTunes
- iOS/Games – Time Tracer Limited is proud announce the release of Joy Striker V1.03 the free game app that brings winning joy on tap. Tap to strike the target and make the crowd go wild on scoring. The game has 300 game levels and three game varieties. Joy Striker V1.03 is Free and available worldwide through the App Store in the Games category. Download from iTunes
- iOS/Lifestyle – Sola K.K is pleased to announce the release of kotoca 2.0, a new entry of its iOS lifestyle management series is now available in both English and Spanish. kotoca is regularly at the top of the charts in Japan and having user reviews over 4.4 stars. kotoca was also selected by Apple as one of the best new applications in May and has been featured as the App of the Day on the Japanese App Store. kotoca 2.0 is available for free (With In-App Purchases) worldwide on the App Store in the Lifestyle category in English, Spanish and Japanese. Download from iTunes
- iOS/Social Networking – Silver App Development LLC, an established mobile app developer, has announced the recent update of Avec: Experiential Dating app for the iPhone, iPad and iPod devices running on iOS 9.2 or later. This revolutionizing app is a perfect solution for people to find their dates based on common interests. Users of the app can invite their dates to restaurants, musicals, theatre, movies, sporting events and everything in-between. Offering more than other apps of its kind, Avec is a perfect tool for finding a local date or for forming friendships with anyone in your area. Avec: Experiential Dating boasts flexible dating options, location discovery engine & more. Avec: Experiential Dating app is currently available for download on the App Store for Free in the Social Networking category. Download from iTunes
- iOS/Games – Developer Reality Games today announced that it has taken one of humankind’s greatest and most mundane smartphone obsessions, checking the weather, and turned it into a game. Weather Challenge, available now on the App Store is a weather app that takes accurate local weather predictions from over 310,000 global weather stations and injects a whole new layer of fun into the experience by allowing players to wager virtual currency for or against the forecast across multiple periods of time. The game also features multiple professional TV weather forecasters that players can pit their forecasting skills against. Weather-Challenge 1.5.27 is Free (With In-App Purchases) and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Games category. Download from iTunes
- iOS/Games – Global mobile game publisher ZPLAY is glad to announce that a fun and challenging racing game, Skater – Let’s Skate, is now available on iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Android devices all over the world. Skater – Let’s Skate is free and is available worldwide through the App Store in the Games category. Download on App Store
- iOS/Games – Smarty Apps Studio is proud to announce the release of Word Link, the company’s new word search game for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch devices. Word Link is an entertaining word matching game. Get Ready for the combination of word searching and crossword. It is a challenging game that is sure to Increase your brain and test your vocabulary. Word Search is Free and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Games category. Word Search is Excellent for both Word Cross, word Link and search word games Lovers! Word Link
Product Announcements – Presenta Ltd. of Dobrich, Bulgaria has released iGetter version 2.9.6 for macOS. iGetter is a powerful, full-featured download manager and accelerator.
New in version 2.9.6:
- Optimized for Firefox v60 .
- Added support for TLS 1.1 and 1.2 when performing SSL communications, which is a requirement for most sites now. Integrated the SSL support into iGetter, so it won’t be dependable on macOS and third-party libraries.
- Added new extension for Firefox v57, that supports the new WebExtension API. The new add-on is similar by functionality to the iGetter Chrome extension. The legacy XUL add-on will be used only with Firefox v56 or earlier.
- Renewed the digital signing certificate.
- Added a link at the SHA1 field in the History Info panel, that opens VirusTotal recent report for selected file’s SHA1 checksum.
- Added new connection types for 50Mb Fibernet, 2Gb Fibernet, and 10Gb Ethernet, optimized for best performance at the chosen speed.
- Added support for relative redirection locations, incl. the protocol part, as per RFC7231.
- Added new User Agent for the Microsoft Edge browser.
- Updated User Agents of Safari, Firefox, and Chrome for macOS, as well as Firefox for Windows with recent versions.
- Added new command “Only files larger than 5MB” in the Chrome extension, that would allow transferring to iGetter only downloads larger than 5MB. The smaller files would be downloaded directly by Chrome.
- The “Disable Integration” command state in Chrome extension is now saved through the browser restarts.
- Implemented a workaround for an issue on macOS 10.13 High Sierra, which could lead to completed downloads still opened in iGetter, when double-clicked, etc.
- Fixed an issue with some button icons (as transfer details and speed limiter on the main window, etc.) not appearing properly on macOS 10.13 High Sierra.
- Solved an issue with the “URL” field of the “New URL” dialog not allowing more than 1000 characters, by extending the limit to 10000 characters.
- Fixed an issue with the OS, choosing to use the discrete GPU instead of the integrated one, when displaying iGetter.
- Fixed an issue on OS X 10.9 or later, that caused an error message about iGetterCMPlugin in the console log.
The International version of iGetter includes: English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Turkish, Japanese, Russian, Hungarian, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Polish and Portuguese (Brazil) localizations.
System Requirements: Requires macOS 10.6.x – 10.13.x
Pricing and Availability:
iGetter 2.9.6 is shareware. iGetter can be evaluated for as long as it’s needed to decide if it suits the user’s needs. A licensed copy is available for $25.00 (USD) through the website. All registered users will get free support by email and free upgrades in the major 2.x versions.