Product Review – I have read about Duet Display and other software solutions that turn an iPad/iPhone into a second display for your MacBook. I finally made the decision and bought and installed Duet Display this past January. I haven’t regretted it in the least.
Now I don’t generally use this second screen solution at home as I am working mostly on my dual screen Mac Mini there. This is, for me, a travel productivity aid, giving me a second screen for my MacBook. Having that additional screen space has been very useful as I work on articles for my Blog.
I attach my iPad and start Duet Display on it and my MacBook, then set my iPad to the left side of my MacBook propped up with my ANKER Multi-Angle Stand. I can then drag windows from the MacBook main screen over to my iPad for reference while I am writing on the main screen.
I certainly like Duet Display and this product has been well received by users as it has over 2700 reviews in the App Store and a 4.4/5 rating. The iOS part of the App is currently $9.99 in the iTunes App Store. I now consider this a part of my required MacOS Toolkit for any MacBook I may have.
- Free software for the Mac/PC
- Low cost (~$10) software for the iPad/iPhone
- Works with Mac and Windows
- Little to no lag time
- Add Touch Bar access to Apps running in the iPad window
- iPad is powered by Mac while in use as a second display
- Sadly, Apple has broken Duet Display as of macOS 10.13.4 and beyond
- Requires a Lightning cable connection between MacBook and iPad