Product Announcement – St. Clair Software of Denver, Colorado has released an update to its App Tamer utility for macOS. App Tamer 2.3 features an updated user interface and a new feature that detects CPU-hogging applications. If an application or macOS system process suddenly starts using large amounts of CPU time, App Tamer pops up a warning, letting you decide whether App Tamer should slow it down or let it continue. It catches problem apps before they prematurely run down your MacBook’s battery!
The changes in version 2.3 include:
- New “Detection” feature that alerts you when an application or background process starts consuming excessive CPU time
- Updated user interface that’s consistent with the look of El Capitan and Sierra
- App Tamer will no longer stop iTunes when iTunes is ripping a CD
- All Spotlight indexing processes (and their aggregate CPU usage) are now conveniently displayed as a single task
- A number of bugs and crashes have been fixed
More about App Tamer:
Some Mac applications, especially web browsers, continue running tasks or animations even when they’re supposed to be idle in the background. This can consume valuable processing power, reducing battery life and producing heat that increases fan noise. App Tamer’s unique AutoStop capability automatically slows down or pauses these applications when you switch away from them, and then restarts them when you click back to them. This frees your CPU and reduces power consumption.
App Tamer comes pre-configured to automatically manage Safari, Firefox, Chrome, Spotlight, Time Machine, Word and many other apps when they’re in the background. And customizing it for other applications is just a mouse click away.
App Tamer will operate on any Macintosh running macOS 10.8 or higher. There is a trial version try for 15 days. A license to continue using it after the trial period is $14.95 (USD) and is available from the web site. This update is free for users who purchased App Tamer 2.x or bought App Tamer 1.x after July 1, 2013. For those that purchased a license before that date, the upgrade is $7.95 (USD).