Product Announcement – Houdah Software of Luxembourg City, Luxembourg has released HoudahGeo 5.1, a major upgrade to the photo geotagging tool for Mac. HoudahGeo tags photos with location coordinates and names. Standard EXIF, XMP and IPTC geotags allow photo cataloging tools to organize and later find photos by location. HoudahGeo integrates with Apple Photos, iPhoto, Aperture and Adobe Lightroom.
HoudahGeo 5.1 gains the ability to add locations to photos managed by Apple Photos 2.0 on macOS Sierra. HoudahGeo can find and geotag original image files within the Photos library. HoudahGeo can notify Apple Photos of changes made to location information. This puts photos on a map in Apple Photos’ new Places feature. The integration between HoudahGeo and Apple Photos gives Photos users access to the many photo geocoding options HoudahGeo has to offer:
- Automatic geocoding using GPS track logs
- Geocoding using reference photos taken using iPhone, a smartphone, or a GPS-enabled camera
- Geocoding without a GPS. Use the built-in map to double-check, adjust, or assign locations to your photos
The map in HoudahGeo makes geocoding large batches of photos surprisingly easy. One just needs to make incremental adjustments between photos to account for the distance travelled. It takes but a nudge to the map and a click for each photo.
How is geotagging different from assigning locations in Apple Photos?
Geotagging writes location information to metadata tags within the original image files. This creates a permanent bond between a photo and the location where it was taken. HoudahGeo writes the same industry standard EXIF and XMP as used by GPS-enabled cameras. Such geotags can be used by Apple Photos as well as other photo cataloging, editing or publishing tools.
Location information added in Apple Photos exists only within the library database. The original images remain unaltered. Only exported versions of the photo can be set to include geotags.
HoudahGeo Feature Highlights:
- Supports many methods of geotagging: GPS track logs, built-in maps, Google Earth, etc.
- Writes GPS data, location names, title, description and keywords to EXIF, XMP and IPTC tags
- Works with JPEG as well as a large number of RAW file formats. It also supports XMP sidecar files
- Notifies Apple Photos, iPhoto and Aperture of changes made to photo location information
New in HoudahGeo 5.1:
- Apple Photos: HoudahGeo can now add locations to photos in the Apple Photos library. Requires Photos 2.0 on macOS Sierra
- Apple Maps: On macOS Sierra, HoudahGeo now offers Apple Maps in addition to MapBox maps
- OS X Version 10.10 or later
- Some features require macOS 10.12 Sierra
- Digital camera
- Optional GPS track logger
- Optional iPhone, smartphone, or GPS-enabled camera
- 49 MB of disk space
HoudahGeo 5.1 is priced at $39 USD (+ tax) for a single-user license. A full-featured demo version is available. Licenses are available from the Houdah Software web site. Upgrades from HoudahGeo 4 start at $19. Upgrades are available through in-app purchases. HoudahGeo licenses purchased on or after December 1, 2015 remain valid for HoudahGeo 5.