A Transportation Revolution

I cam across the article “The Road Ahead” this morning and found that it gives some interesting predictions as to the future of transportation. For instance one of the statistics it quotes is that “The average vehicle is used only 4% of the time and parked the other 96%.” That leads to these three changes in transportation:

  • Autonomous vehicle fleets will quickly become widespread and will account for the majority of Lyft rides within 5 years.
  • By 2025, private car ownership will all-but end in major U.S. cities.
  • As a result, cities’ physical environment will change more than we’ve ever experienced in our lifetimes.

Other interesting facts mentioned:

  • there are at least 700 million parking spaces in the U.S. That means our country has more than 6,000 square miles of parking
  • A full shift to “Transportation as a Service” is finally possible, because for the first time in human history, we have the tools to create a perfectly efficient transportation network.

It is too early to tell if these predictions have merit, though I think it is more of a ‘when’ not an ‘if’. I have read elsewhere that some predict that larger cities will eventually declare non-human driving zones restricting transportation within the area to autonomous vehicles. If this interests you, check out the full article.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s